Teaching and Teban gardens. T&T|Thursday, July 05, 2007


Welcome to the life of a less-than-20%-teacher.

I started off on monday with four straight hours of talks and meetings and discussions from the principal, the vice principals, the various HODs and various other people. Met up with my teacher mentor, who was really a very nice chap. People all seem to be smiling. I can’t tell if the smiles were plastered or original but nevertheless, it was wonderful to be greeted with smiles. And yes. I felt weird. Weird because… now if I walked through the corridors of the school, students will greet me. In classrooms, they called me ‘cher’. Haha! And while at the bus stop outside school, I somehow vaguely remember that the boy was a student in one of my classes, and I happened to be friendly and asked “you are not going home?”… He replied…”going to, cher! Bye cher!” hahahha! I swear the kids are respectful. It is just that, they don’t like English literature. Or English for that matter.

How in the world do you teach English, man. I really see the struggle that the English teachers are facing with. Somehow or rather, I think… as teachers… we are caught in between trying to make sure the students acquire the basics of the language through the syllabus and making sure they enjoy the subject. Hmm. I think I shall be more careful with my words. I don’t think I want to teach subject. I think ultimately, I would like to ensure that they can speak and write in that particular language. But the thing is, how do I teach language. So that they can speak confidently and not afraid of expressing themselves. While this is my first school attachment, I think languages need to be approached in different ways in different schools. Yeah. I am stating the obvious but… lo and behold. It is a reality check for me from time to time. I can't teach literature (ENGLISH literature) in the same way as I was taught… or in the same way that I enjoy it. I think students need to develop a different perspective and mindset. They need to realize that the skills in literature (like looking out for tone, language, descriptive words, etc) are actually helpful, useful and very applicable in daily life. And I think…once they get that, they would not be afraid to speak…converse and communicate in any language for that matter. *well. This is just what I think.*

but of course. Easier said than done. you may be an English teacher. But once you get into the classroom and the student irks you one bit, you wont realize that you are actually scolding the student in sentences that are badly structured…using words that really really sound wrong…and that your pronunciation suddenly go berserk. Serious. The worse thing is… when it comes to these unrealized mistakes that you make…. The students just seem to notice…and then they smile…and then they giggle…and then they…become so distracted…and the list goes on. *sighz. smiles* this happens. Trust me.

I wonder how my life would be when I get married and am still teaching. It’ll be funny. And I think…very tiring, as well. But I think it’ll be exciting. And also frustrating. Haha!

But all in all, teaching is a lot of work. And I think, it gives you a lot of satisfaction as well. In a class of 40 students, even if just one person remembers you, I think you have done what you were supposed to. I can’t wait to get all dirty in the sweat and mud of a teacher’s life. Insya’Allah. I do hope that I am cut out for this path…

And yes. Just for you.
Tell me again. What was I doing at teban gardens? -smiles-


* spoken&willspeakagain*
10:58 PM

Y Musings

All the World's a Stage, And All the Men and Women merely Players - William Shakespeare, As You Like It


Ydactylicparadise.blogspot

Real isn't how You are Made
It is a thing that Happens to You
It Doesn't happen All at Once
You Become.
Once you are Real...
You can't Be Ugly
Except to People who Don't Understand


YCovet

Love, Calmness, Strong, Faithful
Ilmu, Iman, Taqwa
Bliss,Family, Friends,Loved Ones
Masyarakat, Ummah


YHeartstrings

*adlina* *ahmad fathi* *ain* *akudeta* *'arifah* *diatch* *eo* *fadzli* *fairuz* *faizal* *faizola* *hafie* *ila* *kamal* *kamie* *md noor* *nur* *nurizz* *uncle sha* *reeza*


YCredits

image source:[x] [x]
hosts:[x] [x]
designer: [x] [x]

YMay you Speak




YPast

April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007


YMaterial Wishlist

Web Cam, Mic, Headphones
Black Jeans
A part-time job in a bookstore
Increase CAP!!
Honours
21st Birthday
New Zealand


YMisc



YPlaying