A THOUSAND SPLENDID SUNS|Friday, October 26, 2007


I fell in love with Khaled Hosseini’s other book, A THOUSAND SPLENDID SUNS. And here I am again…sharing with you parts of the book. Sigh. The way he writes is just so sincere… that even the love-making scenes look so… pure. And I am not kidding about it. i love the parts below. the first one is simply ghastly. ghastly in the most sympathetic way. the second and third one... it is beautiful. you know.. the way the Laila's mother reacts to the death of both her sons in the war. her extremities...i had been there. and i did have my dad saying that he missed my laughter and someone else said he missed my smile. i never knew what it felt like to say those things. and the last scene.. i had been there too. out of frustration. and then, i had thought the world was unfair.

A gust of wind blew and parted the drooping branches of the weeping willow like a curtain, and Mariam caught a glimpse of what was beneath the tree: the straight-back chair, overturned. The rope dropping from a high branch. Nana dangling at the end of it.

“Did you ever bring Mammy up here?” Laila asked.
“Oh, many times. Before the boys were born. After too. Your mother, she used to be adventurous then, and … so alive. She was just about the liveliest, happiest person I’d ever met.” He smiled at the memory. “She had this laugh. I swear it’s why I married her, Laila, for that laugh. It bulldozed you. You stood no chance against it.”

“I miss the boys too, you know,” Babi said. His eyes had welled up a tad. His chin was trembling. “I may not…with your mother, both her joy and sadness are extreme. She can’t hide either. She never could. ..”

A groan came out of Laila. Then a wail. And then she was crying, and when he went to wipe her cheek with the pad of his thumb she swiped his hand away. It was selfish and irrational, but she was furious with him for abandoning her, Tariq, who was like an extension of her, whose shadow sprung besides hers in every memory. How could he leave her? She slapped him. then she slapped him again and pulled at his hair, and he has to take her by the wrists, and he was saying something she couldn’t make out, he was it softly, reasonably, and, somehow, they ended up brow to brow, nose to nose, and she could feel the heat of his breath on her lips again.

These are the few parts that I really love. And there is this one page, of Tariq and Laila and the scene … even as I was constructing the scene in my mind… as I was imagining it… I moved myself. My heartstrings got tugged. The way Hosseini writes… it is magical.


I wish I can write as magically….

Anyway… I wanna share a few things. Just a few quotes that I got from a book. And the thing is.. I think they make sense. A lot of things are making sense to me nowadays. And the uncanny-ness is just so overwhelming. It is all about the future. My future. It is all about making impacts. It is all about thinking, getting and taking control. And now I am watching the very first episode of Heroes. What I have been coming across or reading the past few days.. they all tie in nicely and very quickly… it is quite… scary actually.

1) If you see it in your mind, you’re going to hold it in your hand.

2) The universe likes speed. Don’t delay. Don’t second guess. Don’t doubt. When the opportunity is there, when the impulse is there, when the intuitive nudge from within is there, act. That’s your job. And that’s all you have to do.

3) Unless you fill yourself up first, you have nothing to give anybody. Therefore, it is imperative that you tend to You first. Attend to your joy first. People are responsible for their own joy.


* spoken&willspeakagain*
8:22 AM

Y Musings

All the World's a Stage, And All the Men and Women merely Players - William Shakespeare, As You Like It


Ydactylicparadise.blogspot

Real isn't how You are Made
It is a thing that Happens to You
It Doesn't happen All at Once
You Become.
Once you are Real...
You can't Be Ugly
Except to People who Don't Understand


YCovet

Love, Calmness, Strong, Faithful
Ilmu, Iman, Taqwa
Bliss,Family, Friends,Loved Ones
Masyarakat, Ummah


YHeartstrings

*adlina* *ahmad fathi* *ain* *akudeta* *'arifah* *diatch* *eo* *fadzli* *fairuz* *faizal* *faizola* *hafie* *ila* *kamal* *kamie* *md noor* *nur* *nurizz* *uncle sha* *reeza*


YCredits

image source:[x] [x]
hosts:[x] [x]
designer: [x] [x]

YMay you Speak




YPast

April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007


YMaterial Wishlist

Web Cam, Mic, Headphones
Black Jeans
A part-time job in a bookstore
Increase CAP!!
Honours
21st Birthday
New Zealand


YMisc



YPlaying